Sunday, March 06, 2011

Ask Moms Kitchen - food processor, pectin and camping


 
Do we wait anymore for the postman to bring us answers to all of our burning questions?   All I seem to get is junk mail these days.    But I do wait eagerly for comments to my blog posts.   And occasionally, someone asks a question.   So, here are some answers.....

 
Any advice on what to look for in a food processor? Or do you use your beloved Kitchen Aid mixer and call it a day?

 
There are people that use their food processors all the time.   I am not one of them - I prefer to knead bread by hand, and make pastry crust by hand, too.   However, there are certain jobs where the food processor is indispensable - and that's for slicing and grating large amounts of food.   I've owned a Cuisinart and a Kitchen Aid food processor (there are no other brands worth buying, in my book) and I much prefer the Kitchen Aid.   If you monitor the Macy's sales, you can find some good deals on them - I snagged mine for about $100.  That being said, you could use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a slicer attachment, but it takes longer to set up. 

 
Can you please tell me how much of your home-made pectin to use in a typical jam recipe (one that would otherwise require bought pectin)

 
Yes, you can find the ratios for typical jam recipes in this blog post.  Also, a great book of jam and jelly recipes that don't require boxed pectin is Linda Ziedrich's Joy of Jams, Jellies and Other Sweet Preserves, and for ideas on flavor combinations, or just fantasizing about taking a trip to France, I like to browse Christine Ferber's Mes Confitures.  However, that book isn't really user friendly. 

 
I would love to see your kaper chart and schedule from Girl Scout camping. I camp with my girls quite a bit, but this year am coordinating a camp trip for the entire service unit (45 girls) and would love to see what worked for others. I would also like to see the egg on a stick info.

Sure!  For those not involved in Girl Scouting, a kaper chart is used to divide up camp duties, otherwise you might end up with what I like to call a "Lord Of The Flies" situation, where there is youth anarchy and no one has fun or eats anything or gets their tent set up.  I made my Kaper Chart back when my Scouts were Brownies....now they are Seniors and they have to figure things out for themselves.   I wrote this post about Girl Scout camping a while ago...it reminds me that I should write about Boy Scout camping sometime....I have a Boy Scout, too.   Boy Scout camping is similar to Girl Scout camping in that there is plenty of opportunity for a "Lord of the Flies" situations, but Boy Scout camp usually involves more axes and knives, which adds a greater degree of parental angst.   But it's fun, too! The adult leader Boy Scout magazine has lots of great info and recipes for camping...check it out

To make an egg on a stick, here is what you do:

  • First, since I know you are using Leave No Trace principles as a good Girl Scout should...you are not using an actual stick but a metal marshmallow roaster stick.   That's good, because it makes egg on a stick work even better.  
  •  Use older eggs because fresh eggs are hard to peel.  Carefully poke a hole in each end with tip of a pocket knife. Stick the skewer straight through the egg longways through the holes.  
  •  Keeping the stick parallel to the ground (if pointed up or down it will slide), roast it over the coals like a marshmallow, rotating it to cook evenly.  You can pull the stick out to check for doneness - hard or soft cooked
  • When it is done to your liking, carefully remove from the stick (it will be hot) and when it has cooled enough to touch, peel and eat.
Your scouts will be amazed!  Have fun....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome idea works great thank u