Friday, December 31, 2010

Wines I Like


Not that I know a ton about wine, but I have learned lots by buying wine at Morgan and York in Ann Arbor.   I have taken a couple classes there, too about fondue and raclette.   The best thing about M&Y is that the staff is friendly and laid back and knowlegeable, and not food snobby at all, which they could be if they wanted to be.    They know their stuff....so if you wanted to buy a fine French wine they could help you with that, and if you wanted some Boone's Farm, they'd offer to order it for you, no questions asked.

I took a "Reading Wine Labels" course there last winter, and wanted to learn more about the kind of wines I like.   I know that I like a really grapey tasting wine and that I had some good luck with Spanish tempranillo wines, but didn't know what kind of French wines would be like them.   Here was what I learned in the class - suggestions of wines I might like:

  • Côtes du Rhône
  • Vacqueyras
  • Gigondas
  • Cairanne
  • Châteauneuf-du-Pape
  • Languedoc:
    • Vin de Pays d'oc
    • Pic St Loup
    • St. Chinian
    • Corbieres
    • Cotes du Roussillon 
 Now to print this out and put it in my wallet!

1 comment:

Ashe said...

Great suggestion... I've been working my way through the Windows on the World wine course, but I have an older edition of the book and many of the suggested vintages are no longer readily available. I should drop by Morgan & York and see if they could suggest substitutes... I bet they'd be very helpful!

P.S. I'm posting again!
http://www.asheblogs.com