Friday, December 31, 2010

January Spice Rack Challenge: Rosemary


I have tons of rosemary in my house right now.   For the holidays, I bought a beautiful rosemary wreath that I have hanging in my kitchen.   My neighbor Martha's mom gave me a huge rosemary plant that is shrub sized - I have tried to grow rosemary indoors many times and I just don't get enough sun (I live in the woods) and I tend to forget to water my plants and rosemary needs a lot of water.   It's name means "dew of the sea" because where it grows in it's native Mediterranean, it likes to live near the ocean.   But I am trying to keep my shrubbery alive this winter and it is doing fantastic thus far.   The question is, what to do with it all?

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it....feel free to use fresh or dried.   Please post by January 21, 2011 and HAPPY NEW YEAR!  It's not too late to join the Spice Rack Challenge....if you wanted to be added to the blog roll, just email me at momskitchen{at}comcast{dot}net.

8 comments:

Sun Runner said...

Well, what do you know...I just bought some fresh rosemary to use in a lamb stew I am making for guests tomorrow.

I need a big kick in the butt to resurrect ye olde foode blogge, and this will get me motivated, so count me in for the Spice Rack Challenge.

(Also, I will be back @ breakfast on Friday.)

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited! I love rosemary but don't think I use it enough so this will be good; I can focus on it in a dish. Now, what to make?

Anonymous said...

Use fresh rosemary on potatoes and beef. Make a tea out of it. If you don't like the taste (it's good for digestion,) it makes the hair not only shine, but helps it to regrow. Sprinkle the leaves on salads -- it's particularly good with bitter greens. Put some in your bottle of vinegar to add interest to salads or just add it to the skillet when wilting greens like kale or collards. Wherever pine nuts would work, so also will rosemary.

Rosemary is great but susceptible to freezes, so bring your plants indoors.

iyelli said...

I've got my recipe picked out, will be making it on my next day off (using the second half of the rosemary I bought for a roast chicken this week).

CallieK said...

My post is up- I thought today was the deadline for some reason so I maybe ahead of the game

http://backyardfarmsto.blogspot.com/2011/01/january-spice-rack-challenge-rosemary.html

Ashe said...

Union Square Bar Nuts. Look 'em up!

Wendy (The Local Cook) said...

d'oh, I thought we'd be getting email updates and somehow missed this in my Google Reader. Is it too late?

RJ Flamingo said...

Oh, damn! I was waiting to hear when we were going to start! I'm such a dope! And I have a ton of rosemary in my garden... Can we get a grace period for this first one??? PLEEEEEEEASE???