Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Can Jam October: Corn Relish

I love sweet corn!  My family, however,  is officially sick of eating corn on the cob this season.   While I never tire of it, it happens every year...this time it was my son announced at dinner the other night that he would not eat any more.  "We have it, like, every night, Mom", he announced, and my husband nodded his head in agreement.  "You'll miss it come winter!" I warned them, but they would not be convinced.    What to do with it all?  Corn can be pressure canned, but it's far better blanched and removed from the cob and frozen.    However, this year, I am going to try something a little different - corn relish.   Linda Ziedrich, in her wonderful book Joy of Pickling describes it as an old fashioned stand in for salad when served chilled, or it can be mixed with cooked rice for a side dish.  I've tasted corn relish before - it's sweet and tangy... it's one of those things everyone's grandma used to put by.   I can't wait to crack into a jar come January!   
Linda's recipe omits the usual turmeric and powdered mustard typically found in corn relish recipes, like this one from the National Center for Home Food Preservation or this one  from Ball.   It usually makes the brine cloudy.  My suggested tweaks to her recipe is to use hot peppers instead of the mild peppers for something a little different, and use honey instead of the brown sugar if you like.   


Corn Relish - Sweet or Spicy
printer friendly

2 qts. (18 ears) fresh corn kernels
2 c. diced green bell peppers (3 large) or a mix of mild and hot
2 c. diced red bell peppers (3 large) or a mix of mild and hot
2 cups chopped onions (4 medium)
1/4 c. chopped garlic (1 head)
1 T. pickling salt
2 T. whole yellow mustard seeds
1 qt. cider vinegar
2/3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar or honey

Bring all ingredients to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Pack relish in jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.    I think it is time for corn relish to make a comeback, along with another old timey relish called piccalilli (or chow chow).   I am going to give those a try in the coming weeks.

4 comments:

Tightwad Mom said...

Thanks for sharing another great canning recipe! I'm the one who is sick of corn on the cob at our house. I think I'll give this recipe a try.

Anonymous said...

Finally getting around to really looking through the Can Jam round up and this sounds yummy! Hopefully next summer I'll get a bunch of corn!

Anonymous said...

Do u cook the corn before taking it off the cob

Cynthia said...

The recipe calls for fresh (i.e. uncooked) corn.