Monday, November 23, 2009

Making candy this year for Christmas

I love to make candy - it's a dying art...no one does it any more.   Looking through my blog, I've posted about making toffee and making peppermint patties, which are two fairly easy candy recipes for the newbie candy maker to start out with.  If you can find either of these cookbooks - long out of print, but can be found online and at tag sales and book sales sometimes, they are great to learn how to make candy:

  • "The Candy Cookbook" by Mildred Brand
  • Farm Journal's "Homemade Candy"
Everything I learned about tempering chocolate I learned from Tammy Coxen. of Tammy's Tastings.  If she teaches some truffle making classes this holiday season, take one!  It's great.  Stay tuned here for more of my holiday candy making ventures.   This season, I think I am going to make these candy bars.

3 comments:

Tammy Coxen said...

Thanks for the plug! I do have a few people interested in a chocolate workshop this fall, so if any Mom's Kitchen readers are interested, contact me asap and I can include you in the scheduling discussion.

Maggie said...

I'll second the recommendation for the Farm Journal book, it's my standby. My candy plans this year are caramels, caramel filled chocolates and toffee (all dairy-free), cinnamon and fruit flavored taffy and honeycomb candy.

Do share your experiences with the Chow bars. I used their recipe for pb cups (but with sunflower seed butter) a few years ago but they weren't a hit.

SlowRunner said...

Let me know if you plan on going to a truffle class and if it's on a weekend. I would love to go w you.

Dale