Saturday, October 17, 2009

MLFB Oktoberfest and Soup Exchange

Last night a group of food bloggers I am happy to be a part of got together for one of our regular potlucks.   Besides sampling all sorts of beers, we made and exchanged soups.  I had a ham bone in my freezer that needed to be used, so I made split pea soup in the crock pot.   That's such a simple recipe I feel a little silly sharing it here, but this is what I did:

Split Pea Soup
1 ham bone with some meat still on it
1 lb. bag dried split peas, rinsed and sorted
2 onions, peeled and left whole
4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 T. whole peppercorns
4 carrots,  peeled, quartered and cut in 2 inch long pieces
1 t. kosher salt, or more to taste

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot.   Add enough water to cover everything, cook on low for 8 hours.    Remove bone and onions, adjust salt if needed.

I also made an old favorite soup of mine - curried cauliflower soup.   It's wonderful for fall/winter when the cauliflower is in season.  Be sure to use a white cauliflower for this soup - I tried it once with a purple one and it came out a very unappetizing sludge color.  Made with a white cauliflower, the soup will take on a lovely chartreuese color that looks great with the cilantro garnish.   If you are a cilantro hater, use parsley instead.  If you like spicy foods,  use Penzey's hot curry powder.  (if not, try their sweet curry powder). I love Penzey's spices and buy all of my spices from their store in Wisconsin online.   Their catalog always has yummy looking recipes and has a real homespun feel about it.   I am always happy when one shows up in the mailbox.  They do have a store in Birmingham, but I am never up that way to check it out.   Their spices are an excellent value and always fresh, and when the box comes from Penzeys, they always have tucked in some free samples tucked in to try.   Not sure if you get that at the store!

Curried Cauliflower Soup


1 head cauliflower cut into florets
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon butter
3 onions, sliced 1 inch thick
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
4 cups water
I can reduced-sodium canned chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley) for garnish


1. Preheat oven to 450°. On a baking sheet, toss cauliflower with vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread out, and roast until the florets turn brown, about 25 minutes.

2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder, cauliflower, water, and broth; cover, and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer a few cups cauliflower to a bowl, and set aside. Using a stick blender, puree the cauliflower in the soup, and then add the reserved florets.  Ladle soup into bowls, and top with cilantro or parsley.

1 comment:

Alex Harrison said...

mmm...I LOVE split pea soup. My mom always made it after Easter and Christmas with the ham bone...I miss the MLFB get-togethers!