Saturday, March 07, 2009

Beet Salad

One of the hardest things about my 40 meat free days is lunch. I need to plan ahead in order to make sure I have something good to eat for lunch, or I tend to get really bummed out. There is nothing worse than facing the workaday world without lunch to look forward to....

Last week, I made up a batch of beet salad, which got me through a couple days of work. Usually, I make this salad in the summer time when I have a ton of fresh basil around. The fresh basil is a must in this recipe, so I splurged for one of those little plastic containers that you can find in the produce section that cost an arm and a leg. I sure wish my kitchen window got enough sun to sustain a basil plant! I put the pot of beets on while I was making dinner last Sunday and then let them cook for a long time in their skins. I let them cool and diced them - I bought both golden and purple beets, which made the salad look exceptionally lovely. Definitely a great addition to my work day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you republished this because I was thinking about trying it this summer.

Did you ever try roasting the beets instead?

Also, did you see Bittman's column about beets without goat cheese? Last week, I think.