Thursday, November 27, 2008

Note to self: what I did for Thanksgiving this year

1. I cleaned out the fridge last weekend, to make room for the turkey. I've got to remember to do that every year. This was a great help and a joy every time I opened up the door. I hate cleaning the fridge, but it was well worth it.

2. I bought an 11.5 lb. Bell and Evans bird this year and brined it in 2 cups kosher salt, 1/2 gallon of water and 1.5 gallons of ice cubes. It fit in a Playmate cooler and I started the brine about 2 pm yesterday afternoon.

3. I made the dough for rolls using my blogging friend TennZen's recipe in my breadmaker, but had to clean out the entire pantry to find the little paddle thing that mixes the dough in the bottom of the machine. It had an inch of dust on it, too. I think I can move the bread maker to the downstairs storage. On the plus side, the pantry closet is now clean. This dough was fairly wet - I cut it into balls and am making cloverleaf rolls out of them in a muffin pan.

4. I got the bird in the oven at 12:30 pm. I rubbed it with poultry seasoning and butter and started it out face down on the V rack for 45 minutes at 400 F.

5. I listened to "Turkey Confidential" on the Splendid Table and I am psyched that Nora Ephron made a movie based on the book "Julie and Julia" which is an inspirational book to read. However, I highly recommend Nora's books "Crazy Salad" and "Heartburn" which are much better.

Gotta go for now. Time for cocktails - the bird is in the oven!

No comments: